Re: Re: Piecewise symbol in 5.1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52331] Re: [mg52313] Re: Piecewise symbol in 5.1
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:12:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It sounds like the installation of fonts in an upgrade scenario isn't as
reliable as it should be.  What various people are describing here is that
some or all of the Mathematica fonts being used are coming from their 5.0
(or possibly earlier) installation rather than the 5.1 installation.  We
are investigating the problem to try to determine under exactly what
circumstances this happens and how to fix it.

I'm including some instructions below on how to fix the problem under
Windows.  If you have difficulties, or are experiencing problems on
platforms other than Windows, you should contact Technical Support at
support at wolfram.com.

First, to determine if you have a problem, copy and paste the following
into 5.1...

\[ConjugateTranspose] \[Transpose] \[Piecewise]

You should see characters which look kind of like a plus, a T, and a left
brace.  If you don't, try rebooting your system.  If the problem still
persists, then...

* Open the Fonts control panel.
* Find all fonts which begin with the name "Mathematica" and delete
  them (if you find fonts beginning with "Math", you shouldnt' delete
  those).
* Double-check to make sure they're all gone.  This is important, since
  occasionally, multiple copies of a font can be installed, and a font
  can reappear after you deleted it.  If there are some fonts which
  refuse to go away, reboot the system and try again.
* In the Mathematica 5.1 installation directory, which is probably...
      C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\5.1
  open the subdirectory
      SystemFiles\Fonts\TrueType
* Select all of the files in this directory, and drag them to the Fonts
  control panel window.  You'll briefly get a progress dialog indicating
  that the fonts are being installed.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com