Re: launching a kernel on a remote linux machine through ssh from a linux machine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52455] Re: launching a kernel on a remote linux machine through ssh from a linux machine
  • From: thewalterq at hotmail.com (walter)
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 01:41:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

D Herring <dherring at at.uiuc.dot.edu> wrote in message news:<co6hqb$nqe$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> Its probably a typo, but your message indicates that Mathematica is connecting
> to lamo both times.

I think the message "Link created on 35950 at 7.7.7.7,35951 at 7.7.7.7"
refers to the computer which is running the front end, which is lamo
in both cases.

> What happens if you explicitely start the remote kernel?  In other words,
> kernel menu -> start kernel -> remote.

That does not work either. It asks for a password but at the end the
kernel is not running.

> Also, check whether or not the remote kernel is actually starting.

No, it is not starting.

> I assume you can manually SSH into fast from lamo.

Sure: running a "ssh lamo.here.com math" gives me a text-mode kernel,
as expected.

    Walter.