Re: Publicon problems converting sample document to LaTeX

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50433] Re: Publicon problems converting sample document to LaTeX
  • From: andre at wolfram.com (Andre Kuzniarek)
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 03:35:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote in message news:<cgs25h$p$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> That's VERY helpful.  And it points out several deviciencies in the
> first non-beta release of Publicon:
>
>   - inadequate documentation
>
>   - no Palettes command on the File menu
>
>   - applying a style sheet from the Format command does NOT open
>     the corresponding palette.
>
> So in 1.0, and without hacking, we would seem to be left with knowing
> ahead of time the ultimate destination of a Publicon-created notebook
> intended for export -- to LaTeX, etc. -- and jumping through the hoop of
> first creating a New notebook of that kind (to bring up the appropriate
> palette), then opening (or creating) the actual Publicon notebook we are
> interested in exporting eventually.
>
> This design (?) does not seem too clearly thought out!

Actually, this is precisely what the design is thought out to be, and
is also why we set up the menus to help direct users towards making a
document format choice before beginning. This is documented in slide
three of the tour. It's a useful suggestion that we reinforce this
idea throughout the documentation. Mismatching document
formats/templates to their export target is a similar problem to that
of exporting arbitrary Mathematica notebooks successfully: the
structure has to be precise and recognized by our conversion
algorithms.

The idea of opening a palette after applying a style sheet is on our
list of suggestions for future features, one of many user interface
suggestions that have to be implemented in Mathematica before Publicon
can exploit it.

We have not yet completed setting up a LaTeX class for Publicon's
default formats. We are forced to punt on parts of the current LaTeX
output produced by the default sample (or anything composed in the
default style), because there is no obvious LaTeX analog matching
everything in our default format. A clearer indication of that fact
would be useful, perhaps a warning in the status message.

Documentation covering the customization of LaTeX output can be found
here:

http://documents.wolfram.com/publicon/UserGuide/AdvancedFeatures/CustomizingLaTeXOutput/index.html

and the equivalent location in the help browser. We're working on a
white paper to describe the process, stepping through a real world
example, which should be a useful addition.

AK

Andre Kuzniarek
Document Technology Manager
Wolfram Research