Install Fix for Mathematica 5.0.1 Font on Linux Xorg/Fedora Core2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50471] Install Fix for Mathematica 5.0.1 Font on Linux Xorg/Fedora Core2
  • From: LAWRENCE C ANGRAVE <angrave"at"wisc"dot"edu at smc.vnet.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 03:53:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I've recently installed Mathematica 5.0.1 on a linux machine - RedHat Fedora Core 2 (with all updates) to be precise.

It appears that the installation does not correctly work with the new linux font server which is based on Xorg rather than X11R86.
This means certain cell types do not render their text at all making the help notebook almost unusable. For example, the section text "How To Type ..." in
2D Expression Input>Entering 2D expressions>Overview
are not rendered as white spaces (though copy-paste works).

- See the fonts section at:
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/

My fix / hack  for this was to add the following  lines to the new linux font server configuration file: /etc/X11/fs/config
            /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1,
            /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/Common/Type1:unscaled,
            /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/AFM:unscaled,
            /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/BDF:unscaled,

... and restart X windows ( you'll notice that /etc/init.d/xfs script does all the font re-hashing etc)
If you open this as an install bug please CC me the correct solution that you find. For example - which of the above entries should be tagged with 'unscaled'?

Thank you,

Lawrence Angrave.