Example Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50565] Example Problems
  • From: "Mark Westwood [EPCC]" <markw at epcc.ed.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:06:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Geoff

Some problems which satisfy the first of the two criteria:

1) Many image processing tasks: simply chop the image into p equal parts
(p is the number of processors you are using) and let each processor go
to work.  You have to be a little careful at the boundaries between the
parts of the image, generally it is simplest to send slightly
overlapping segments out to each processor, the overlap should be the
same dimension as the matrix which defines the image transformation you
are applying.  These problems decompose very well because they require
NO communication between processors except at the start, when the image
is torn into pieces and at the end when it is reassembled.

2) Cellular automata also decompose neatly, but these are slightly more
tricky during the course of a computation.  If you know Conway's Game of
Life you will know that occasionally it throws up patterns which seem to
move across the map.  You need to take account of these when they reach
the boundary of the domain on a processor, 'handing off' to the
neighbour processor.

3) Search problems.  For example, if you want to search a string a
gazillion characters long for every occurrence of a substring, simply
chop the long string into p bits and let each processor get to work.
This won't save any time if communicating the chopped up string takes
longer than searching it, but if you want to get really sophisticated
you could have each individual processor read its own bit of the string
from disk (or wherever it is) and work on it entirely independently.

4) Genetic programming: breed a population of programs on each
processor, let it evolve for a few generations, then bring the most
successful program from each processor together and have a grand
tournament.  Again, you'll have to experiment with the ratio of
computation to communication for your cluster to get the numbers right.

5) Look in the literature under 'embarassingly parallel problems' or
'task farm'.

Satisfying the second criterion is easy - just make the problem big
enough that the gain in computation rate overwhelms the cost of
communication.  How big that is depends on the problem, the algorithm,
system characteristics such as interconnect latency and transfer rate.

Hope this helps

Regards
Mark Westwood
Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre