Bizarre bug

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50698] Bizarre bug
  • From: Steve Gray <stevebg at adelphia.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:16:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have this sequence, which usually works fine:

Plot3D[fminer[pol, 1, {x, y}], {x, -51, 51}, {y, -51, 51},
    PlotPoints -> 120,
    ViewPoint -> {0.950, -5.706, 4.168},
    LightSources -> {{{ -1.0,   0.0, 1}, RGBColor[1, 0, 0]},
        			   {{   0.7,   1.0, 2}, RGBColor[0, .7, 0]},
        			   {{   2.3, -1.4, 2}, RGBColor[0,  0, 1]}},
    BoxRatios -> {1, 1, .5},
    PlotRange -> {0, 7}];

But once in a while upon opening the file, the word "fminer" will have narrow spaces in it,
usually one or two. These do not seem to be a spurious character insert because the cursor spaces
right over them as if they weren't there, but fortunately they are visible.  If I erase the word
"fminer" and retype it with  no other changes, the function works again.
I have seen this since Release 4 several years ago. The only thing that may be unusual
is that I have this word highlighted in yellow, by selecting it and doing alt-RGY. (I like to
highlight my own functions, yellow where they're defined and green where they're called. It makes
the code a bit easier to follow.)
Why should coloring the word's background do something bad? This is only one of many
peculiar behaviors in the typesetting area of Mathematica, which are why I would never use it for final
output.
I posted this same problem several years ago and got no response, but I will still be
grateful for any help! (Maybe no one believed me, but I am sure of this! It occured right before I
posted this.)

Steve Gray