Re: Newbie Plot Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50779] Re: Newbie Plot Question
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:40:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 9/19/04 at 3:56 AM, kyoak at oversee.net (Kate Yoak) wrote:

>When plotting functions, I often find Mathematica getting bogged
>down in a small range of values, and leaving important parts of the
>curve off.

Mathematica uses an internal algorithm to display what it considers the interesting portion of a plot. The surprising thing isn't that Mathematica gets things wrong but how often Mathematica gets things right.

>For example, when plotting a beta probability distribution, I get a
>plot that covers 1x10^-10.. 4x10^-10, and doesn't go higher.

>I tried Ticks(r){Automatic, {0,0.5,1}} - all that did is skip the
>tickmarks.

Ticks specifies where to put the tick marks. In this case you've asked Mathematica to put a tick at 0, .5 and 1. So, when the maximum plotted output is less than 0.5 you get no ticks

>Then PlotRegion->{{0,1}, {0,1}} did not accomplish anything.

PlotRegion is used to what region is to be used for the final display. It doesn't control the range of values to plot.

>How do I tell it to adjust the scale?

use PlotRange

contrast

Plot[PDF[BetaDistribution[20, 30], x], {x, 0, 1},
   PlotRange -> All];

with

Plot[PDF[BetaDistribution[20, 30], x], {x, 0, 1}];