Re: Font rendering in Mathematica 5.0 on Mac OS X

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50818] Re: Font rendering in Mathematica 5.0 on Mac OS X
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:12:02 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 9/21/04 at 3:48 AM, gtkacik at Princeton.EDU (Gasper Tkacik) wrote:

>I just switched from Windows to Mac and am running Mathematica
>there. Am I missing some switch or should I use a different font to
>make the notebooks readable (the rendering seems really bad, with
>no antialiasing as far as I can tell)?

Hmm ... I find the default fonts used by Mathematica 5.0 running on Mac OS 10.3.5 quite readable. But perhaps it is only that I've become used to the appearance of Mathematica on my Mac. In any case, your best bet would be to edit the Default StyleSheet so that it uses fonts you find more readable. Here I am assuming the issue is with the choice of font made by Mathematica.

You also might want to go to Appearances in System Preferences and change the your Font Smoothing preferences. Look at the bottom two items. Note, I believe you have to logout and back in before changes here take effect.