(Remote connection failed) FrontEnd is listing on wrong port?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50840] (Remote connection failed) FrontEnd is listing on wrong port?
  • From: Holger Meinhardt <hme at vwl3.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:27:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I tried to connect with the Mathematica front end from my working
computer (Linux) a remote kernel on a more powerful Unix machine.
Unfortunately, it works only partly. I am able to launch the
Mathematica kernel on the remote machine, but the results will
not be send back. I consulted the MathLink Networking book
by Miyaji and Abbott, but I did not find their nor in the net any
informations to solve the problem. Probably, I have overlooked or
misunderstood something. Below you will find some of my configuration
data and network informations.

My setting of arguments for MLOpen is

-LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract

To launch a kernel on the remote machine the following arguments are
provided

ssh username at x.x.x.x "MathKernel" -mathlink -LinkMode Connect
-LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName "37482 at y.y.y.y"

By monitoring the network transfer with netstat I could observe that the
MathKernel was started at the remote machine x.x.x.x and sent the results
back on the desired port to machine y.y.y.y.

tcp        0      1 x.x.x.x:46920    y.y.y.y:37482    SYN_SENT
25788/MathKernel

The front end of Mathematica is listing on the following ports on the
machine y.y.y.y

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:50375           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
16335/Mathematica
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:50376           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
16335/Mathematica

It seems to me that the problem is related to the fact that the
front end is listing on the wrong port numbers.
My question is now how it is possible to force the front end of
Mathematica to listen on port number 37482.
Which command I have to use to establish a network connection
of the front end?

By the way. Connecting the remote kernel with LinkLaunch and ssh is
working without problems. The same happens by starting a Mathematica
session on the remote machine by launching the front end directly on
the remote computer.

I am thankful of any suggestions or hints to solve this problem.

Regards,

Holger Meinhardt

Holger Meinhardt
Institute for Statistics and