Re: Hyperbolic function identity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50973] Re: Hyperbolic function identity
  • From: carlos at colorado.edu (Carlos Felippa)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 04:52:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

carlos at colorado.edu (Carlos Felippa) wrote in message news:<cjasqk$ns0$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> Why
>
>    FullSimplify[ArcCosh[1+z^2/2]-2*ArcSinh[z/2],z>0];
>
> does not evaluate to 0?

My apologies for the wording of the question.  Of course I know all
those coaching tricks and gyrations. I have been using them since
1994, when I began with Mathematica 2.2 (which did not even had
FullSimplify).

I should have worded it like this: why is FullSimplify unable to
perform its stated function from the data given, which is sufficient
to carry out the reduction?   Why are crutches like TrigToExp needed?