Re: transpose

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55691] Re: [mg55673] transpose
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 05:50:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Paul,

solution = Solve[i == e/r, r]
resistance[e_, i_] = r /. Part[solution, 1]    giving...

{{r -> e/i}}
e/i

resistance[5.0, 2.3]
2.17391

Notice the double equal sign in the equation.

If you are a newbie I recommend taking some time to work through most of
Part I of The Mathematica Book, actually typing in commands and seeing that
they evaluate properly. This will give you a good idea of how Mathematica
works, the syntax and at least the basic commands available. This will save
a lot of time in the long run.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Paul [mailto:p3aul1 at cox.net]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I am a newbie with a simple question.

I have an equation: i = e/r I want to solve the equation for r or e(it
doesn't matter which), symbolicaly. I know this is a difficult equation
;), but by starting simply I can figure out others.
Thanks,
Paul