spiral cipher

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55750] spiral cipher
  • From: zak <chocolatez at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 03:21:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

spiral cipher
suppose i have the string "i love apples and cats"
the sentence composed from 18 letters. we will neglect space letter.
if we give to every letter a value which depend on the english alphabet such as:
a=1; b=2 ; c=3; d=4;...; i=9;...; l=12 ...
now i pick the letters one by one:
I=9  plot 9 units to the right
L=12  plot 12 units to the north
O=15  plot 15 units to the left
V=22  plot 22 units to the south
E=5  plot 5 units to the right
and so on...

this will create a messy spiral but it will represent our string.
we may dream to see some patterns in poets or similar texts.
i hope someone may have an idea about how to draw this messy spiral
cipher using mathematica
we will see if the letters of some texts will crawl to some
directions, or it will clutter arround the center point
and if someone could construct a text wich when spiralling it will
crawl to the north as an example. or may plot a bird figure.
regards

zak