Y axis labelling on OS X. new (to me) development.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55723] Y axis labelling on OS X. new (to me) development.
  • From: Mike <m.HoneychurcNOSPAMh at uq.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 03:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The screwy y axis frame labels in Mac OS X versions of Mathematica have been
discussed before in this group. I've just discovered something to add to
this frustration.

While frustrated with this labelling (more frustrated after I learnt it was
an Mathematica problem not a Mac problem) I put up with it because when printing to PDF files using Acrobat the labels turned out okay.  ...in version 4.2. As a
general rule though I have tried to avoid labels that would appear screwy.

Late last year I purchased the latest version of Acrobat and when printing
out some older notebooks noticed that the y axis label had not been
corrected by Acrobat. Cursed (assumed this was an Acrobat problem) and went
on to something else. Today I decided to re-install Acrobat V5 so that I
could print some correctly formatted graphs. Unfortunately the graphs
printed with screwy labels. To cut a long story short it appears that if you
use Mathematica version 4.2 you can print to PDF correctly using any version
of Acrobat but for some reason more recent versions of Mathematica (I tried 5.1
today) don't allow you to do this. You are essentially stuck with what is on
the screen. In other words it seems WRI have compounded whatever problem
existed in earlier Mathematica versions with their later versions of Mathematica.

While we're on the topic of Mathematica in OS X a couple of other bugs remain to be fixed:

Help browser navigating

FontVariations->{"StrikeThrough"->True} does not
produce strikethough

Also my notebooks menu disappeared when I switched to OS X a few years ago.
It this a known issue or something unique to my computer on successive
versions of OS X and Mathematica?

Mike