Re: OSX version of Extrapackages folder

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55936] Re: OSX version of Extrapackages folder
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:07:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 4/10/05 at 6:54 AM, p5m8.REMOVETHIS at yahoo.com.au (Peter McCallum)
wrote:

>Hi I have to install some data sets from the laylinalgebra.com
>website. I'm using a Mac with OSX v10.3.8 installed. Mathematica
>v5.0.

>I have to install some files. The ReadMe says to put them in
>Wolfram Research/Mathematica/3.0/AddOns/ExtraPackages or whatever
>the equivalent is for the version of Mathematica I am using.

>The problem is the ExtraPackages folder does not exist on my
>system.

It should exist with a standard installation of Mathematica on OS X. From the Finder, you can navigate to it by control clicking on the Mathematica icon and selecting show package contents. Select AddOns to find the ExtraPackages directory. However, I would not add files to this directory.

The problem with adding files to this directory is they will not be seen when upgrading to a new version. What I've done is add a ExtraPackages folder inside the directory returned by $UserBaseDirectory (most likely this will be ~/Library/Mathematica) and added

$Path = Append[$Path, ToFileName[$UserBaseDirectory, "ExtraPackages"]]

to my init.m file