precisions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55973] precisions
  • From: "Tun Myint Aung" <TMA at nus.edu.sg>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 05:26:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

    I am doing a calculation involving eigenvalues and eigenvectors for
structural mechanics. I encountered with difficulties in numerical
calculation which is very sensitive to precisions of numerical numbers.
I used "SetPrecision[inputdata,100] for my input data. But after I got
eigenvalues and eigenvectors, these numbers are "MachinePrecision". I
tried to change the precision in "Eigenvalues", but there are no options
for that. How can I set the precision for the whole notebook?

With Regards,
Tun Myint Aung (Graduate Student)
Civil Engineering Department
National University of Singapore