Re: cannot evaluate in HelpBrowser (Win XP)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55974] Re: [mg55926] cannot evaluate in HelpBrowser (Win XP)
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 05:26:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I solved my problem with the HelpBrowser not allowing cells to be
evaluated inside it!

The problem seems to have been due to a Windows add-on "Actual Window
Rollup" -- a utility that allows you to roll up a window, like a window
shade, by double-clicking its title bar (as on Macs).  At least this
problem occurs with that utility in combination with the ATI Catalyst
graphics driver on my system.  With that utility not loaded at all, the
problem is gone.  (Even loading the utility and then closing it still
caused the problem to appear.)  So the utility seems to be tinkering
with Windows at some fundamental level that conflicts with the way the
HelpBrowser interacts with the Windows interface.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305