Re: Re: Numerical Optimization involving equation solving

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56061] Re: [mg56005] Re: [mg55969] Numerical Optimization involving equation solving
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:56:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

By the way, (stuff;Return[ans];) should be simply (stuff;ans)

Usually there are local variables (needed only within the function), so you'd have Block[{locals},stuff;ans] or the same using With or Module in place of Block. Blocking the local/temporary variables helps prevent "side-effects" of a function execution.

There's no need for Return, Break, Continue, Goto, or Label unless you have a "spagetti-code" addiction you're unwilling to break. The sooner you abandon it, the more you'll get out of Mathematica's functional paradigm.

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com