mercator, robinsen projections

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56104] mercator, robinsen projections
  • From: Edward Peschko <esp5 at pge.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 04:48:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hey all,

    I was wondering if people had some pointers on how to translate Mercator
Latitude/Longitude points to Robinsen (or other projections.)

Example:

    suppose I had a robinsen graph of the world, which is on a flat, 2D graph.
I'd like to 'pick points' off of this axis, and turn them into equivalent points
on a mercator graph. And I'd like to go vice versa.

Is there a simple, mathematica function or package that will do this, eg:

	Mercator[.1,.1]

which takes the linear representation of Mercator

	(
		x == 0 => corresponds to zero meridian,
		x == -1 => corresponds to -180 longitude,

		y == 0 => corresponds to equator,
		y == -infinity => corresponds to the south pole
	)

and turns it into a latitude/longitude representation? Ultimately, I'd like to be
able to say something like:

	Robinson_Coords[
		Mercator_LatLong[.1,.1]
	];

to convert from the flat, Mercator version of a map to the Robinson coordinates,
and

	Mercator_Coords[
		Robinson_LatLong[.1,.1]
	]

to go the other way around.

There's got to be a projections package out there somewhere, or is this a
particular wheel I need to reinvent?

Thanks much,

Ed