Re: OSX version of Extrapackages folder

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56150] Re: [mg55915] OSX version of Extrapackages folder
  • From: Garry Helzer <gah at math.umd.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 03:53:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Peter,

Where you put files for Mathematica depends upon your circumstances.
Are you using your own machine, a machine in a computer lab, a network
machine, a machine on which you have administrator privileges, etc.

Type $Path into a cell and type shift-return. The result is a list of
directories that your copy of Mathematica will search when looking for
files. Put the downloaded files in any of the listed directories for
which you have write permission. If you cannot write to any of the
directories you need to contact your system administrator.

If you can put files anywhere you probably want to put them somewhere
that they will remain available whenever Mathematica is upgraded to a
new version. The situation here is a bit murky. The only dependable
information would be that in the installation instructions provided by
WRI. For your system, Mac OS X, the version 5.1 installation
instructions state that no 5.0 files will be changed and custom files
will automatically be found. Draw your own conclusions.

--Garry

On Apr 10, 2005, at 3:54 AM, Peter McCallum wrote:

> Hi
> I have to install some data sets from the laylinalgebra.com website.
> I'm
> using a Mac with OSX v10.3.8 installed. Mathematica v5.0.
>
> I have to install some files. The ReadMe says to put them in Wolfram
> Research/Mathematica/3.0/AddOns/ExtraPackages or whatever the
> equivalent
> is for the version of Mathematica I am using.
>
> The problem is the ExtraPackages folder does not exist on my system.
> Any
> ideas what the equivalent of this is under OSX and Mathematica v5
>
> Unfortunately there's no contact for support on the website.
>
> Thanks
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter McCallum