holding boxes verbatim

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56210] holding boxes verbatim
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 04:55:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Math Group gurus,

Mathematica is annoying me. I would like some way to type in a two
dimensional box form (representing an arbitrary expression) and assign
it to a symbol. I would then like to be able to operate on the
expression by, for instance:
1 printing it
2 printing it with some variables' values substitued into it
3 and finally evaluating it

Hold and its variants do not do the job because they prevent
expression evaluation, but I need something that will keep its box
form exactly as I have typed it.

Please, how does one do this?

A method for doing this is very useful to me because my professors
like to see the variables substitued into the original (not
Mathematica reparsed original, but verbatim original) equations.

Thank you for your very valuable time,
--
Chris Chiasson
Kettering University