Re: "Cascaded sums"?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59195] Re: "Cascaded sums"?
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 00:42:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

AES wrote:
> A Mathematic calculation is yielding a result of the form
>
>    (x^4 + a (x^3 + a (x^2 + a ( x + a ))))
>
> for the case n = 4, and analogous results for larger n; and Mathematica
> seems to be able to do some interesting simplifications and factoring of
> these results.
>
> I'm sure I learned about this form in a math class somewhere along the
> line, but this was 50+ years ago.  Could some kind soul remind me of
> what this form is called, and maybe some of its interesting properties?
>
> Thanks . . .

Hi,

The polynomial is expressed in Horner, or nested, form, which is highly
efficient for numeric computations. You will find hereunder some links
that explained in more details how Horner?s method works and how you can
use it within Mathematica:

http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/n2003/HornerMod.html

http://www.algebra.com/algebra/about/history/Horner-scheme.wikipedia

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/mathematics/algebra/horner.html