Re: Set default options for a function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59231] Re: Set default options for a function
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 01:19:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

that is no wonder, because
PlotStyle /. {options} /.
Options[MultipleListSmith]

will evaluate to

{{Red},{Blue},{Green},{Orange}}

and not to an option for MultipleListPlot of the
form:

PlotStyle -> {{Red},{Blue},{Green},{Orange}}

You have to write

PlotStyle->(PlotStyle /. {options} /.
Options[MultipleListSmith])

or better

{mystyle,myjoin,myshape}={PlotStyle,PlotJoined,SymbolShape}
/. {options} /. Options[MultipleListSmith];

MultipleListPlot[
listaUV,
PlotStyle -> mystyle,
PlotJoined -> myjoin,
SymbolShape ->myshape
]

Regards
  Jens

"Daniele Lupo" <danwolf_no_spam_please_ at libero.it>
schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:dcmu2e$gi9$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Hi.
|
| I've created (after some effort), a function
that plot into a Smith chart a
| set of data.
|
| In this function, all works OK, but I'd like to
set default options for
| MultipleListPlot in a different way.
|
| My function in made in this way:
|
| MultipleListSmith[lista_List,options___] :=
| Module[{listaUV},
| ....I modify listaUV here...
| MultipleListPlot[listaUV, options]
| ]
|
| now, my data by default is created by four sets
of xy data
| {{data1},{data2},{data3},{data4}}, so I must to
do four plots with
| MultipleListPlot.
|
| I't works all (now...), but I'd like to create,
by default, four different
| styles for every plot, in this way:
|
| SymbolShape->None,
PlotStyle->{{Red},{Blue},{Green},{Orange}},
| PlotJoined->True
|
| I'd like that these options are used by default,
changing them when I need
| other styles (considering that lista represents
four data sets, by
| default).
| I've used the default value
|
| options___:{PlotJoined -> True, SymbolShape ->
None, PlotStyle -> {{Red},
| {Blue}, {Green}, {Orange}}}
|
| But it does not work, returning the plot with
default options, not mine...

| I've also tried the example shown in the
mathematica book of the online
| help 2.3.10, so, I've written:
|
| Options[MultipleListSmith] = {PlotJoined ->
True, SymbolShape -> None,
| PlotStyle -> {{Red}, {Blue}, {Green},
{Orange}}};

| MultipleListSmith[lista_List, options___]:=
| Module[
| MultipleListPlot[
| listaUV,
| PlotStyle /. {options} /.
Options[MultipleListSmith],
| PlotJoined /. {options} /.
Options[MultipleListSmith],
| SymbolShape /. {options} /.
Options[MultipleListSmith]
| ]
| ]
|
| but it returns errors to me, of this type:
|
| MultipleListPlot::badargs :
| MultipleListPlot has been given bad arguments.
Input Should be data sets
| consisting of points or points with ErrorBar
specifications.

| If I replace my last three arguments with
options, all works fine, but I