Re: Re: Some bugs in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59287] Re: [mg59260] Re: Some bugs in Mathematica
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 02:08:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

>>> Date: 2005/08/01 Mon AM 10:07:41 EDT
>>> To: "Bob Hanlon" <hanlonr at cox.net>
>>> Subject: [mg59287] [mg59260] Re:  Some bugs in Mathematica
>>>
>>> 1) You are wrong. My sum is equal to 1 for any n and the respectable
>>>
>> program
>>
>>> like Mathematica claims to be should know it.

1. This is obviously false. Take n=1. Than your sum is

Sum[(Gamma[1/2 - k ]*Gamma[k + 1/2])/
    (Gamma[ - k ]*Gamma[k + 1]), {k, 0, 0}]

which is simply Gamma[1/2]*Gamma[1/2]/(Gamma[0]*Gamma[1])

The issue is what is Gamma[0]? The Gamma function has a simple pole
at 0, so Mathematica correctly gives

Gamma[0]

ComplexInfinity

That forces the answer to be 0, thus contradicting your claim that
the sum is always 1.

2. This group is not a place for reporting Mathematica bugs. If you
wan to report a bug you shoudl report it directly to WRI's technical
support.
This is a Mathematica discussion group. No employees of Wolfram are
obliged to read any posting to this group or reply to them. Those who
choose to do so, do so voluntarily because they want to help
Mathematica users. Referring to them by name in your postings  is not
going to make them reply  and I would guess that if you make yourself
sound as if you were demanding rather than asking for an answer they
are more likely to ignore you. Which they are fully entitled to do.

Andrzej Kozlowski