Re: Simple question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59304] Re: Simple question
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 01:21:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

You should use InputString rather than Input (which inputs a Mathematica
expression). The following code is simple to understand but not
particularly elegant:

While[True,
   p=InputString["Please type the conditions"];
   If[p=="S",
     p=p1;
     Break[]
     ];
   If[p="C",
     p=p2;
     Break[]
     ];
   ]

In general, I would not use Input or InputString - those functions
belong to the early days of Mathematica, and any interface that you make
with them will never look good!

I would start by developing your code using the usual notebook
facilities - maybe just set the value of p in a cell and edit it as
needed. Alternatively, the choice of p could just be one argument to a
function that you define.

Later, when you are ready, if you feel you need a good interface to your
program - say because you want others to use it - explore the GUIKit, or
the SuperWidgetPackage that is available free from my site. The SWP
simplifies and extends GUIKit programming.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk