Re: Default defaults?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59317] Re: [mg59289] Default defaults?
  • From: Igor Antonio <igora at wolf-ram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 01:22:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

AES wrote:
> 1)  I tried editing the Default style sheet, without making a backup
> copy of same, and may have screwed it up.  Is there a way to restore the
> default Default.nb notebook?

What operating system are you using?

Depending on how you installed Mathematica and it it was on Windows, you
may have the installation files in your system under:

C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Downloads\<some folder>

Open that folder, then open the file Data1.cab and you can find the
default.nb stylesheet in there.  I'm not sure how the CD is laid out
(don't have one handy), but you might find the Data1.cab in the CD as well.

I've placed a copy of my default stylesheet online for you to download
as well.  A separate email will be going out to you shortly with the
URL.  This one you can use regardless of your OS.

> 2)  There seem to be two copies of Default.nb notebook in my Mathematica
> installation.  Why? -- and which one is the "real" Default.nb?

There's only one that ships with Mathematica.  Where are these
default.nb located?  The one that ships with Mathematica is located in:

$TopDirectory\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\StyleSheets

where $TopDirectory is where Mathematica is installed.

> 3)  The Format >> Style Sheet menu command also displays about 15 other
> styles besides Default, such as "ArticleClassic" and "DemoText" among
> others -- and they seem to function.
>
> But, there are no "ArticleClassic.nb" or "DemoText.nb" notebooks to be
> found in my current Mathematica installation . . . ????

Look in the directory mentioned above...

> 4)  There's always a possibility I might want to do a clean
> reinstallation of Mathematica to solve this (or other future) problems.
> Looking ahead to this, the "Getting Started" booklet that came with v.
> 5.1 contains installation instructions, but no instructions for
> uninstall, or reinstall -- and I know there are auxiliary files
> scattered in other places on my HD.

Simply uninstall using the normal method of uninstalling programs for
your specific OS.  (That is, go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
for Windows, or drag the Mathematica 5.1.app to the trash under OS X).

I'm not sure what you mean by auxiliary files.  Mathematica files go 3
possible places.  Under Windows, they are:

C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mathematica
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Mathematica

Under OS X, they are:

Inside the Mathematica 5.1.app
User's Library\Mathematica
System's Library\Mathematica.

Mathematica will only delete the files that it "recognizes" during
uninstall, so your own files are safe.
--

Igor C. Antonio
Software Technology

To email me personally, remove the dash.