Specifying path to a non standard package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59344] Specifying path to a non standard package
  • From: Lee Newman <leenewm at umich.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 01:29:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Group,

Situation
-- I am using a package "SubscriptSymbols" in a notebook, with the
statement:  Needs["Utilities`SubscriptSymbols`"];

-- This package is not standard with mathematica, and I have the package
file (SubscriptSymbols.m) sitting in the directory
D:\Apps\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\AddOns\ExtraPackages\Utilities
where it seems to be found automatically by Mathemetica when the Needs
statement is executed.

-- I want to run the notebook on a remote computer, but I do not have
the ability to put the SubscriptSymbols.m file in the appropriate
mathematica directory.  I must have the SubscriptSymbols.m file in the
same directory as the notebook that uses it.

Question
-- How can I load the package from a specified working directory that is
not part of the context paths known by mathematica?   I've tried adding
path info within the needs statement but that does not work.

Thanks,
Lee Newman