Need portable code to open Notation palette.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59335] Need portable code to open Notation palette.
  • From: ted.ersek at tqci.net
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 01:29:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I wrote a package to Symbolize subscripts and it's posted at
http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4268/

The SymbolizeSubscripts package uses the Notation package, but it doesn't
launch the Notation palette. I wanted to provide SymbolizeSubscripts users
a way to open the Notation palette after loading SubscriptSymbols. To do
that I defined the command
   NotationPalette[]
which opens the palette. However, I recently learned from Murray Eisenberg
that the version of  NotationPalette[] that I provide with the
SymbolizeSubscripts package doesn't work with Mathematica 5.1 or 5.2.

With help from Prof. Eisenberg I came up with the definition below which
works for myself using Mathematica 4.1 and for him using Mathematica 5.2.

NotationPalette[]:=
 If[$VersionNumber<5,
    NotebookOpen[FrontEnd`FileName[
        {$TopDirectory,"AddOns","ExtraPackages","Utilities"},
      "NotationPalette.nb"] ];,
    (* else *)
    NotebookOpen[FrontEnd`FileName[
        {$TopDirectory,"AddOns","ExtraPackages","Utilities",
           "Palettes","English"},"NotationPalette.nb"] ];
   ]

But I worry that this won't work for all users. I want to support all
versions of Mathematica from 3.0 to 5.2 and beyond. I also want it to work
under MS-Windows, UNIX, Linux, and Mac. How do I know the code above will
not work for some users?

It would be nice if I could tell the kernel to find "NotationPalette.nb"
and return the list I need to give FrontEnd`FileName[ ]. How can this be
done?

Thanks,
  Ted Ersek