problem with using Basic Input palette

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59603] problem with using Basic Input palette
  • From: Marek Bromberek <marek at physics.mun.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 03:26:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

   Hi

I was wondering if somebody could explain to me why when I use Basic input
palette I am getting the following  error:

MakeExpression::boxfmt: TextForm in MakeExpression[FractionBox[1, +,
RowBox[{Cos, [, x, ]}]}]], TextForm] is not a box formatting type. A
box formatting type is any member of $BoxForms.

This error was generated when I wanted to type in
A[x_]:=1/(1+Cos[x])
with the fraction symbol from the Basic Input Palette

I am using Mathematica 5.1 on Gentoo Linux Box

                Marek Bromberek          tel: (709) 737-8880 (O)
               Dept. of Physics               (709) 726-9734 (H)
Memorial Univ. of Newfoundland      new www:WWW.PHYSICS.MUN.CA/~MAREK/
      St. Johns's, Newfoundland       e-mail:marek at physics.mun.ca
                 A1B 3X7 Canada