About Simplify

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59665] About Simplify
  • From: "Peltio" <peltio at trilight.zone>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 05:39:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The recent threads about Simplify made me wonder why the user is not allowed
to choose which transformation rules apply to the expression passed to it.
Of course Simplify and FullSimplify are no longer (if they ever were)
written in Mathematica code, but is it at all impossible to rewrite its
interface in order to let the user interact with the builtin code?

I do not know the way the code is structured for these procedures, but I can
guess that at a certain point it will try to apply certain sets of rules
having to do with trigonometric functions, Bessel functions, Hypergeometric
functions and many other more or less exotic special functions.
Is there no way at all to put switches to disable certain sets of rules?
(A question for developers, of course - I do not think that Mathemaitca
users can interact with the code).

The user could pass a list of exclusion rules, such as

    Simplify[ expr, BesselFunctions->False, AiryFunctions->False,
ErfFunctions->False]

when the results he gets contain certain special functions he does not want
to involve. The overhead for multiple switches will be minimal (the
procedure will have to modify a table which will be looked up by the
internal C code) and the user will be able to build custom simplify
solutions (one that uses only algebraic and trigonometric functions, one
that uses the orthogonal polynomials, one tht does not use hypergeometric
functions and so on).

I can imagine that the built-in code is not a sequence of transormation
rules to apply in chain one after the other, but perhaps many special
functions rules could be switched on and off at will without afffecting the
remaining code.
Or is it completely unthinkable?

just wondering,
Peltio
Invalid address in reply-to. Crafty demunging required to mail me.