Simplification to Partial Fractions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59676] Simplification to Partial Fractions
  • From: "Jon Palmer" <Jonathan.palmerNOSPAM at new.ox.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:00:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I was wondering if someone can help with a Partial Fraction problem.

I have a calculated expression, u, which is a quotient of two polynomials in
three variables x, y & z.

u = P(x,y,z)/Q(x,y,z)

I know that the quotient, when simplified, is a sum of partial fractions of
the form

u = R(x,y,z) + S(x,y,z)/(x^2 +y^2)  + T(x,y,z)/(y^2 +z^2) + U(x,y,z)/(z^2
+x^2)

Is there a way to simplify the expression into the parial fraction form?

I have tried various combinations of Simplify, Apart, Collect etc. and can't
find a method that works. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jon Palmer