Re: Simplifying Conjugate[] with 5.2 Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59785] Re: Simplifying Conjugate[] with 5.2 Mac
  • From: sbjensen at midway.uchicago.edu (Steuard Jensen)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 03:51:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Quoth "James Gilmore" <james.gilmore at yale.edu> in article
<de6maf$cj5$1 at smc.vnet.net>:
[I wrote:]
> > In[5]:= Simplify[Conjugate[x+I y]]
> >
> > Out[5]= Conjugate[x + I y]

> With regard to this behaviour, it may be useful to use PlusMap (or Map if
> there are always at least two terms when expanded), see FurtherExamples, in
> the Map documentation.
> $Assumptions = {{a, b} \[Element] Reals};
> PlusMap[f_, expr_ /; Head[expr] =!= Plus, ___] := f[expr];
> PlusMap[f_, expr_Plus, r___] := Map[f, expr, r];
> Trace[Simplify[PlusMap[Conjugate, Expand[a + I*b]]]]
> Trace[Simplify[PlusMap[Conjugate, Expand[a + b]]]]

This approach would presumably work in principle (since we've seen
that Simplify can deal with one term at a time).  But in practice, my
expressions often involve products and sums of many terms at many
levels.  So I would either need to devise a way to Map Conjugate
properly onto each term by hand (at which point I might as well just
change all the I's to -I's myself!), or come up with an automated way
of doing it (which would probably end up being equivalent to
explicitly defining Conjugate[expr_Plus]:=Map[Conjugate,expr], etc.,
as I suggested in a different reply).

But I hope it's not unreasonable for me to feel a bit frustrated that
I've got to work around this behavior at all.  Regression bugs between
versions are no fun for anyone.
						Steuard Jensen