Re: Mathematica 5.1.1 on Fedora Core 4?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59826] Re: Mathematica 5.1.1 on Fedora Core 4?
  • From: Scott Hemphill <hemphill at hemphills.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:51:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Joe Christy <joe at eshu.net> writes:

> Has anyone here tried Mathematica 5.1.1 on Fedora Core 4? There are
> various remarks in the FC4 Release notes about thread libraries that
> make me wonder if it will work, so I thought that I'd ask before
> committing to an upgrade.

I know this is a late reply, but nobody else seems to have responded.

I have Mathematica 5.1 on Fedora Core 4, and I imagine the issues are
similar.  I installed my own scripts in /usr/local/bin.  For example,
/usr/local/bin/mathematica contains:

  #!/bin/bash
  export LANG=C
  export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
  export OMP_NUM_THREADS=1
  exec /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.1/Executables/mathematica "$@"

The "LD_ASSUME_KERNEL" makes threads work, but since I only have a
hyperthreading processor (Pentium 4) and not an actual multiprocessor
system, I turn threads off by setting OMP_NUM_THREADS to "1".  (The
gains due to hyperthreading are offset by the overhead required to set
up the threads, with a tiny net loss in my Mathematica benchmarks.)

Scott
Scott Hemphill	hemphill at alumni.caltech.edu
"This isn't flying.  This is falling, with style."  -- Buzz Lightyear