Question about vector analysis in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59854] Question about vector analysis in Mathematica
  • From: "Steeve Brechmann \(schumi\)" <steevebrechmann at yahoo.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:30:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi everyone,

I have some weird problems in using Mathematica to do some vector analysis...perhaps its my lack of knowledge :) but i want to be sure.

Needs["Calculus'VectorAnalysis' "]
SetCoordinates[Cylindrical[r,phi,z]];

I want to check that the cross product of the basis vector z and r give phi, i.e :

CrossProduct[{1,0,0},{1,0,0}]  = {1,Pi/2,0}

Why this result ?

Does a vector in cylindrical coordinates be {Ar, Aphi, Az} ?

Thanks for your help.

Steeve Brechmann von Brechenmacher,
Département de physique, Université Laval,
Laboratoire de Physique Théorique (LAPHYT),
Centre d'Optique et Photonique Laser (COPL),
Courriel : steevebrechmann at yahoo.ca
Bureau : 656-2131 poste 4139
Pagette : 890-7241
Tél.: 527-7258