my wish list for Mathematica next major version

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59901] my wish list for Mathematica next major version
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 06:33:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello;

I thought I'll share some of the things I wish Mathematica could have,
may be someone from Wolfram company will listen.

1. A real, good, easy to use, GUI based debugger. With break points,
line numbers, full source code tracing, stack frame display (call
history), step/in/out, etc.. This is for me the most important item to
have. Debugging Mathematica code can be a pain due to lack of a good
debugger.

2. Ability to build graphics user interfaces, to allow one to make it
easier to interface to their Mathematica applications. This should
have a wizard type graphic interface builder to make it easy and fast
to build UI's. With callbacks.

3. To be able to compile Mathematica applications to a standalone
executables, that can run on any PC without having to install
Mathematica on that PC to run the app.  (nice to have, but not
critical).

4. A package manager. GUI based. Easy to use. To allow one to easily
add and remove packages, manage packages, etc...

5. Improve the graphics to allow one to much easily manipulate the
plots with the mouse, rotate, zoom, modify the plot attributes etc...
Currently plots are static, even though Mathematica plots are the best
I've seen. RealTime3D just does not do it.

6. Better information to the public about version numbers, release
dates and products time-lines for all the Mathematica products. I have
few Mathematica applications, which I have to struggle to find what
version numbers they are, when will there be an update made available,
many have not had any update for 2-3 years, not even a minor update. I
have no idea how something like this is possible. Last time I asked on
this, which was a year ago, I was told the specific app in question
was in active development internally, yet, one year later, no more
news and no updates.

If some of these apps are no longer active, please tell us and make it
clear. There should be a web page listing all the products, with
version numbers, release dats, anticipated next version release date,
etc.. Please communicate more and better with your customers.

If I think of anything more, I'll post them.

Thank you for listening. Any hope of getting any of the above soon? :)

Nasser