Re: FindRoot for the determinant of a matrix witha varying size

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59961] Re: FindRoot for the determinant of a matrix witha varying size
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 04:54:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 8/25/05 at 6:33 AM, davidannetts at aapt.net.au (David Annetts)
wrote:

>Just because it _can_ be done, dosen't mean it should be.  Consider
>the innocuous table

>Range[N[1/3, 16], N[9/3, 16], N[1/6, 16]]

>Naively, we might expect this to return

>Range[1/3, 9/3, 1/6]

>but it dosen't, at least not under 5.0.1 Windows.

I assume you really meant the naive expectation would be to return

N[Range[1/3, 9/3, 1/6],16]

since there should never be an expection Mathematica will return exact results from inexact input.

Also, it should be true

Range[N[1/3, 16], N[9/3, 16], N[1/6, 16]] ==
 Most@N[Range[1/3, 9/3, 1/6],16]

which happens since N[1/6,16 ] > 1/6