MathGroup Archive 2005

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Manipulating the results of Maximize

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59990] Re: [mg59833] Manipulating the results of Maximize
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 04:11:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • References: <200508230851.EAA03015@smc.vnet.net>
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I read your post, but I am confused. Could you provide some example
input and output (pseudo code with "insert magic function" would be
ok)?

On 8/23/05, Selina <yedekaccount at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> I have two constrained maximization problems, and I need to compare the maximum values attained by the objective functions in each problem. The two maximization problems share the same parameters, so what I would like to see is how the maximum values attained in the two problems differ, for each configuration of parameters (I would like to get a list with the maximum values, the difference between the maximum values, and the corresponding parameter values). To find the maximizers for different parameters, I normally use something like:
> 
> Table[{k,a, Maximize[{f, const1, const2},{X,Y}],Maximize[{g,const3,const4},{X,Y}]},{k,kmin,kmax,kstep},{a,amin,amax,astep}]
> 
> which gives a table with the parameters a and k, the maximum values, and the maximizing X and Y.
> 
> So, I need to take the maximum values from this table for each optimization problem, and form a list, which would consist of the difference between the maximum values for the optimization problem, and see which one is higher, maybe plot the maximum values of the two functions together. So, in general, my problem is how to construct lists that contain elements or combinations of elements from the table. I also need to make some further calculations using the values of X and Y that maximize f or g (basically, evaluate another, separate function at the values of X and Y that maximize f and at the corresponding parameters), so I would like to know how I can get the maximizing values off of the table. Of course, if there is an easier way to do this whole thing than by using the table as above, I would be happy to know that.
> 
> Thanks a lot in advance!
> 
> 

-- 
Chris Chiasson
http://chrischiasson.com/
1 (810) 265-3161

• Prev by Date: Re: Another damn simplifying problem: ArcTan
  • Next by Date: Re: inconsistency with Inequality testing and Floor
  • Previous by thread: Manipulating the results of Maximize
  • Next by thread: Re: Manipulating the results of Maximize