Re: my wish list for Mathematica next major version

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60052] Re: my wish list for Mathematica next major version
  • From: Cca <cca at gregosetroianos.mat.br>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:43:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> As a meta-response to these requests, and many other similar ones (for
> example, "4.1.  A palette manager, GUI based"), one attractive solution
> could be a user-customizable toolbar across the top of the screen or the
> top of the noteook window, as found in many other Mac programs (Eudora,
> Quicken, others).

Since version 5.0 I have been experimenting seriously with things like these. It is really possible to do AMAZING things using button, frontend and typesetting programming. It requires some work, but it can be done quickly after developing some some preliminary "productivity tools" (buttons and palettes that create more complex ones -- à la Von Neumann). It is even possible to use Mathematica FrontEnd almost as a  "intelligent whiteboard" at this stage!

I'll talk about SOME basic ideas on my next message. (Many details are poorly documented -- like the interesting InterpreteTemplate). Meanwhile, for those to whom a figure is worth a thousand words, take a look at the html file I just I posted at

http://www.gregosetroianos.mat.br/Mathematica/MathematicaToolbars.html

By the way, I once read at Wolfram that Mathematica 6 will be the "Advanced User Interface Release"! Does someone know more about this?

[Remember not to violate any non-disclosure agreements talking about
some future release release of Mathematica - moderator]

Carlos César de Araújo
Gregos & Troianos Educacional
www.gregosetroianos.mat.br
Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil