How would you evaluate this limit in Mathmatica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62717] How would you evaluate this limit in Mathmatica
  • From: Robert Knighten <Robert at Knighten.org>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 05:53:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

There has recently been an off-topic discussion on the category theory mailing
list of the assertion that computer algebra systems are tricky to use
correctly.  The starting point was the question of evaluating the (parametric)
limit:

Lim   ((1 + 4 x^2)^(1/4) - (1 + 5 x^2)^(1/5))
            (a^(-x^2/2) - Cos[x])

So I am interested in getting comments about doing this in Mathematica.  I'm
also interested in how one would teach solving limits using Mathematica.

--
Robert L. Knighten
Robert at Knighten.org