Re: Types in Mathematica, a practical example

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62940] Re: [mg62800] Types in Mathematica, a practical example
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 05:10:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 8 Dec 2005, at 22:11, Ingolf Dahl wrote:

> I feel it as a round-about way to solve the problem.
> Andrzej Kozlowski, who suggests such a solution, thinks that I am
> looking at
> Mathematica from the wrong view point. It is my strong belief that one
> should be able, especially when mathematics is involved, to observe
> from as
> many different view points as possible. An item is not really
> beautiful, or
> properly designed, if it is not beautiful from all view points. The
> same
> should apply to Mathematica, and I have also understood that
> Mathematica was
> intentionally designed to be well-behaved when seen from different
> view
> points. Or?

About mathematics: it seems to me that almost all beautiful solutions
of difficult problems involve finding the right "point of view".
Often once the right point of view is found the problem is almost
solved, while from the other "wrong" points of view the problem looks
extremely hard  and often uninteresting - (usually because it appears
that the only way to solve it is by a tedious computation or, in the
case o finite problems, by an exhaustive examination of all possible
cases).

About Mathematica: it is true that Mathematica allows many styles of
programming and that this has many practical advantages, but it
certainly is not true that all these styles are equally efficient,
elegant and equally suitable to all types of problems. So if you mean
that for any problem that one wants to tackle with Mathematica it
should not matter whether you choose a functional approach, a
procedural approach, a re-write rule based approach, a recursive
approach etc,  well this definitely is not true and I do not think it
is reasonable to expect otherwise. In a similar vein in mathematics
certain problems are more suited to be tackled with algebraic
techniques, certain with topological, others with analytic etc.

About  your concrete proposal : I personally do not think it would
fit in well with the functional style of programming that is usually
the most natural way to tackle problems involving lists, matrices etc
in Mathematica and also I  do not feel any need for what you are
proposing and hence do not see any benefit if something of this kind
were to be implemented in Mathematica. But I am sure that this is
just a matter of taste, exactly as my preferring certain areas of
mathematics to others is only a matter of taste.

Andrzej Kozlowski