Visualization site updates - string theory and photons

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63241] Visualization site updates - string theory and photons
  • From: Jeff Bryant <jeffb at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 04:19:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

   I've added a couple more animations to my visualization site.  The
first was inspired by Brian Greene's Book "The Fabric of the Cosmos" and
his older "Elegant Universe" book which was turned into a documentary.

http://members.wri.com/jeffb/visualization/stringtheory.shtml

*NOTE* make sure to check out the link at the bottom of the page that
lets you watch episodes of "Elegant Universe" online.  One episode about
multiple dimensions is particularly relevant.

The second example was created to demonstrate a practical use for
arbitrary precision arithmetic.  This allows Mathematica to handle much
more than machine precision when dealing with numerical problems.  In
this case, a SIAM 100 digit challenge problem is visualized in which two
photons are bouncing around in a room full of mirrors.  With each
interaction, precision is lost.  Eventually, the machine precision
photon loses all of its precision rendering its path unreliable.  The
other path starts with 120 digits of precision and still has 62 digits
of precision left in the final frame:

http://members.wri.com/jeffb/visualization/photons.shtml

Also, I've added an alternate version of my prehistoric creature model
(Anomalocaris canadensis).  Its name means "strange shrimp of Canada"
of something to that effect and it lived 550 million years ago in the
seas.  The new view does a good job of letting you see the flapping fins
in more detail:

http://members.wri.com/jeffb/visualization/prehistoric-face.shtml

Enjoy!

-Jeff