Matrix differential equation in NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63298] Matrix differential equation in NDSolve
  • From: Maarten <maarten at stack.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 05:08:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I would like to evaluate a matrix equation of the form:

S'[t]==A(x).S[t]+B(x)
x'[t]==f[x]

in NDSolve where A and B are symbolic matrices. The problem is that S[t] is an unknown n x m matrix, of the same dimension as B. If I enter the first equation as shown above, Mathematica evaluates it to

that is, it assumes S[t] is a vector which is replicated to match the dimensions of B(x). How can I get Mathematica to respect the fact that S[t] is of dimension B in NDSolve. I tried holdform but this does not evaluate in NDSolve