Re: matrices in matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53892] Re: [mg53868] matrices in matrices
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 06:25:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dr. Mario Encinosa,

Try looking at the matrix manipulation package, it has specific
functions for manipulating pieces of matrices. Here is some code from
the help browser that probably does something similar to what you
want.

<< LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation`
a = {{a11, a12}, {a21, a22}}; MatrixForm[a]
b = {{b11, b12}, {b21, b22}}; MatrixForm[b]
BlockMatrix[{{a, b}, {b, {{0, 0}, {0, 0}}}}]//MatrixForm

On a semi-related note, I find that one of the most difficult parts of
using Mathematica is figuring out where to look for information on
Mathematica's implementation of whatever I am trying to do. This is
one reason I am excited about the new Mathematica Wiki
(http://www.mma-users.org/). Wikis seem to be easier for search
engines to "digest" than archives of the MathGroup or user forums.

Regards,

--
Chris Chiasson
Kettering University