Re: Question about an integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54428] Re: Question about an integral
  • From: Curt Fischer <tentrillion at gmail.NOSPAM.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:09:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

richard speers wrote:
> The previous version of Mathematica integrated  1/x^2 from x=2 to x=A
> very nicely, giving 1/2-1/A.  The new
> version won't do the integral.  Please help.

What did it output?  I bet it did do the integral but you couldn't
interpret the results.  In general, newer versions of Mathematica make
less assumptions about unknown parameters.  You have to supply the
assumptions.

In[1]:=
Integrate[1/(x^2), {x, 2, A}, Assumptions -> A > 0]

Out[1]=
(1/2 - 1/A)

--
Curt Fischer