Re: Leading Zeros? (question rephrased)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54453] Re: [mg54378] Leading Zeros? (question rephrased)
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:11:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>> Are the leading zeros that I type into this list captured and stored
somehow by Mathematica?

No.

>> The question arises in part because there's a scientific journal
>> that identifies articles by "article numbers" rather than page numbers

These are character strings, NOT numbers.

>> This number, moreover, is treated for some
>> purposes as a numerical value, though it's obviously also in some
>> ways a "text label" rather than a numerical value.

In the following example, a is a String and b is an Integer. Period. You can do arithmetic with b, but not a. You can take substrings of a, but not b. Don't confuse them with each other.

a="000000574"

000000574

b=ToExpression@a

574