Re: Re: Bug in 5.1??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54489] Re: [mg54448] Re: [mg54349] Bug in 5.1??
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:45:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I never wrote this makes sense. I only pointed out that if you think it
is a bug you should report it. On the other hand it has been a part of
Mathematica since the first version I used, which was version 1.2, I
think. Since then this issue has been discussed almost every year. From
what has been explained, both on this list and in other places, it is a
consequence of certain shortcuts that Significance arithmetic makes to
achieve reasonable speed. It is harmless because nobody ever needs to
compute anything with two digits of precision.

Andrzej Kozlowski