Re: Simplify and Abs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54665] Re: [mg54602] Simplify and Abs
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 01:19:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have fallen yet again into the same old trap :-(

Use:

Refine[Abs[p - 1], p < 1 && p > 1/2]

1-p

The problem is that

LeafCount[Abs[p-1]]

4

while

LeafCount[1-p]

5

So Abs[p-1] is, according to the Default ComplexityFunction actually
simpler than 1-p

Andrzej Kozlowski
Chiba, Japan
http://www.akikoz.net/andrzej/index.html