Bug in Import?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54739] Bug in Import?
  • From: Mark Fisher <mark at markfisher.net>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:27:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

(1) I export a data set that has two identitcal rows.
(2) I use "!!" to display the stored file, showing that it contains two
identical rows.
(3) I import the file, the result of which does *not* have two identical
rows: The first row is different from the second row.

Export["test.tsv",
     {{"2005-01-24", "2005-02-14"},
     { "2005-01-24", "2005-02-14"}}]

!!test.tsv -->

2005-01-24    2005-02-14
2005-01-24    2005-02-14

Import["test.tsv"] -->

{{2005-01-24, 2005-02-14},
{2005, -1, -24, 2005, -2, -14}}

Surely this is a bug.

(I sent this example to support at wolfram.com three weeks ago, but the
only response I've received is that it's not a bug. Frankly, I don't
think the tech person who responded understood the example.)

I  am using version 5.1 for Windows.

--Mark.