Re: FullSimplify with Assumptions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53348] Re: FullSimplify with Assumptions
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 01:18:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 1/6/05 at 10:00 PM, h.g.d.goyder at cranfield.ac.uk (Goyder Dr HGD)
wrote:

>In the examples below I would expect FullSimplify to give L.
>However, I get results that depend on the symbols I use. It would
>appear that symbols x and y are treated differently.

>How can I force FullSimplify to use the LeafCount as the
>ComplexityFunction?

You can force FullSimplify to use LeafCount using the syntax

FullSimplify[expr, ComplexityFunction->LeafCount]

However, for your specific example this doesn't have the desired effect. That is:

In[1]:=$Version
Out[1]="5.1 for Mac OS X (October 25, 2004)"

In[2]:=FullSimplify[(L - L*y^2)/x^2,
                   {-1 + x^2 + y^2 == 0},
                   ComplexityFunction -> LeafCount]
Out[2]=-((L*(y^2 - 1))/x^2)