Re: How to suppress plot output ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58470] Re: How to suppress plot output ?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 03:57:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 7/2/05 at 4:07 AM, paul.mchale at _NO_$PAMearthlink.net (Paul
McHale) wrote:

>I am having difficulty forcing a suppression of output for
>mathematica commands when writing documents.  I want to show a
>multi-part graph:

>plot1=Plot[ ... ];
>plot2=Plot[ ... ];
>plot3=Plot[ ... ];
>plot4=Plot[ ... ];

>Show[ plot1, plot2, plot3, plot4 ];

>In the above, I get four individual plots and one final plot.  How
>do I suppress the first four?

Set the DisplayFunction to Identity. You can do this either by including the option

DisplayFunction->Identity as an arguement for each of the Plot statements. Then the Show statement needs to become

Show[ plot1, plot2, plot3, plot4, DisplayFunction->$DisplayFunction ];

An alternative would be to use Block to temporarily set $DisplayFunction to Identity, i.e.,

Block[{$DisplayFunction=Identity},
{
plot1=Plot[ ... ],
plot2=Plot[ ... ],
plot3=Plot[ ... ],
plot4=Plot[ ... ]
}];

Then you can combine the plots with Show as normal, i.e.,

Show[ plot1, plot2, plot3, plot4 ];