display of function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58506] display of function
  • From: "Bosch, Darrell" <bosch at vt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 01:57:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Math Group:

            The first equation below shows a function for u(y) which is
the sum of the products of pi times yi.  In the following steps, I
assign values of p and y.   How can I get Mathematica to display the
numerical value of u for the given p and y values?  When I insert the
u[y] command, I just get a repeat of the equation I have entered.
Thanks for your suggestions.  This group is a great help.  Darrell

u[y_] := Sum[Subscript[p, i]*Subscript[y, i],

   {i, 1, n}]

y={10000, 20000, 30000}